Monday, August 4, 2008

I Do


The two little words that couples say as they commit to spending the rest of their life with the person that they love . . . through sickness and in health, in good times and in bad . . . "I do".

But do they really mean it? It seems that I have heard a lot lately about marriages that are in trouble. At church, with groups of friends, and even talking to family members, it seems like somewhere in the conversations are prayer requests for someone's troubled marriage.

Brad and I are in our 9th year together, and we will be the first to admit that there have been good times and bad. It's hard work. And I don't remember anyone warning me about the hard parts when I was single. Or maybe I tuned it out along with the warnings to never eat pizza on a date . . . (it is possible that I made a mess of pizza once upon a time when I ate it). Then we got married and Satan began his attack.

Looking back, Brad and I have come so far. We have soared together above the mountaintops and fought hard to climb out of the valleys. I have watched him grow from a timid guy who occasionally went to church (probably to check out all of the single girls) to a strong leader in our church family. To be quite honest, he has far exceeded my expectations of the possibility of his spiritual leadership in our family and among our friends. Shame on me for limiting what God can do through someone!

And I know that God has amazing things in store for us as we continue together. No, we don't always agree (in fact, some of our friends enjoy watching our battle of wills at times). But "I do" love him through it all . . . in sickness and in health, through the good times and bad . . . And I am confident that he loves me, too! But pray for us and our marriage . . . God knows we need it. And if you are married, it is my prayer that He blesses yours as well.

8 comments:

realitymomma said...

you are so true! it is hard. it seems every year, kirk and i grow in one aspect and then regress in another. does kids add any stress to a marriage?

working at it is like working at our christian walk. never easy and if it were too smooth, i would be more scared than when you have an occasional fight!

Happy Mama said...

What a great post- We always say if you keep God in the center He can lean in one way or the other and keep the balance even if one of you is off. I watched Satan destroy a marriage over the last two years and it was the most awful thing I have seen- infidelity, lies, pain, abuse, retaliation, you name it. God is bigger though and some amazing things have happened because of it. It is worth the struggle and God will reside within your marriage if you let Him... Great post! love ya-

Jennifer said...

I've often wondered how non-Christians keep a marriage together. We have watched Satan destroy a marriage of some church friends and it is awful!

homecooks said...

I am embarrassed to admit that I am one that really enjoys a "Rollmann discussion". But I have also enjoyed watching your marriage grow into the wonderful union it is today. I love you both more than I ever tell you, we couldn't have made it this far without you two. You are a great "TEAM"!

Love you both,
Keely

homecooks said...

The team is working! MC

Aubrey said...

Marriage is hard work - rewarding -but hard work. I agree with Jennifer. . . I don't know how people make it who don't have God in their marriage. I love you both and have been encouraged by your marriage many times over the years. Thanks for your example of faithfulness and love! Great post!!

Michelle said...

I agree with Aubrey - I know that your marriage and your faith is an inspiration to Brandon and me. You have a wonderful family and always seem to have it together and know how to handle any situation. As you and Brad grow it is easy to see that you are getting happier and happier and you both certainly set a great example for those of us around you.

Joyce said...

I agree with Keely! Nothing better than a good ole Rollmann discussion!
Go team!