Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Brad!

It is finally Thanksgiving break! Things have been a little crazy over the past week, and I couldn't ever seem to find the time to post. We decided to have a garage sale last weekend to finally clear out the huge mounds of junk that had accumulated in the garage over the past couple of years. It was about time considering we started cleaning out closets and making these piles over a year ago when we decided to have the garage sale. But for some reason, it never happened . . . and the piles just continued to grow . . . They are gone now! Yippee! Special thanks to Donna and Steve for braving the cold with us as we sat all day peddling our goods to the crazies that come out for a garage sale.

In the midst of the garage sale prep (wow it is a LOT of work to get one ready) we celebrated Brad's birthday. He's only one year away from the BIG 40! So Happy Belated Birthday, Brad!

I thought that in celebration for his 39th birthday, I would share 39 things that make Brad special. Here goes:

1. He is a strong spiritual leader in our house. When I would rather sleep in or lay around on the couch, he is the one that insists we get dressed and go to church . . . or the Bible study . . . or our small group.
2. He is an excellent dad. He doesn't mind taking the girls so that I can have time without them. He loves to spend time with them and has a special bond with both of our girls.
3. He has a kind and servant heart. If anyone needs help with anything, Brad is always willing to step in and lend a hand.
4. He loves me unconditionally. I know that most of you will be surprised, but I can be a pain at times . . . and he loves me anyway.
5. He is a great example to others. Brad is not perfect. But people tend to admire his honesty and the way that he puts himself out there - he is "real".
6. He is generous. He never thinks twice about giving to others who are in need.
7. He loves God. I have really seen him grow over the past few years. His love and devotion to the Lord has deepened and affected every aspect of his life.
8. He is a helper. He doesn't get mad when I volunteer him to help cook hot dogs for Gracie's second grade class or to pick up a trailer full of student desks from TCU to haul to my school.
9. He is kind to my family. Brad takes the heat that he gets from my dad and my brother in stride. He is kind and accepting to my entire family.
10. He is funny. As much as his humor sometimes drives me crazy, I am usually laughing as I roll my eyes.
11. He is willing to stay up after working a crazy shift and miss out on needed hours of sleep in order to make it to church with us on Sunday mornings or spend time with us during the week.
12. He volunteered to teach the teenage boys at church.
13. He saved our family from certain death on the jeep ride from hell last summer. And he didn't even yell back as I frantically screamed and cussed at him in the midst of the trauma.
14. He is fun to be around.
15. He has no rhythm, which can be quite entertaining when he decides to dance or try to rock out on Guitar Hero.
16. He surprises me with chocolate.
17. He is a great friend to me and others.
18. He loves it that we have two girls and has never pouted about not having a little boy.
19. He supports me in my career.
20. He encourages others to spend more time in prayer.
21. He is always downloading sermons to listen to.
22. He doesn't blare his headbanging / screaming music (too often)
23. He loves his dad. Brad still calls him almost every day to check on him.
24. He loves to fish and doesn't mind that I think it is boring and stinky.
25. He surprises me every once in a while by doing the dishes, making the bed, or washing a load of laundry.
26. He always takes care of filling my car up with gas when I need it.
27. He will buy groceries when I am too stressed or busy to take care of it.
28. He is complementary of my cooking . . . and I don't cook that well.
29. He works hard to help support our family financially.
30. He agreed to hang his stuffed fish in the garage.
31. Even though he hates public speaking, he has volunteered several times to take care of the sermon / discussion time at church.
32. He has been my rock through some very "rocky" times over the past few years - leaving our church (the one that I grew up in), my mom's cancer, etc.
33. If I don't feel like cooking, he never complains about eating cereal or going out to pick up take-out for us.
34. He takes care of me when I am sick - going to the store to buy four different kinds of medicine, soup, crackers, Sprite . . . whatever I might need.
35. He puts up with my moods and ever unpredictable hormones.
36. He chose me and has never looked back.
37. He agrees to go on trips and travel because he knows that I love it . . . even though he would prefer to stay closer to home.
38. He sleeps in the back bedroom on the uncomfortable trundle bed during the day if we are at home so that we can have full run of the house.
39. He is the love of my life!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great post!!

Happy Mama said...

How funny! That is a cute idea and tell that guy Happy Birthday! I love the jeep one- I can see it all too clearly...you are hilarious! Glad you pulled through! :)

homecooks said...

I've always said that you married up!
Brad is Awesome!

Love you both
Keely

Aubrey said...

You've got a good one! I've always thought that!! Give him a big birthday hug from us!!

Michelle said...

That is sooo sweet and such a great birthday idea!!

realitymomma said...

love the 39! you are too funny and creative.

Anonymous said...

Hapy Birthday, Amy! I told Brad to tell you for me... but you know he sometimes forgets (old age and all).
Stacey & the boys