Friday, October 3, 2008

The Incredible Edible Car Derby

An exciting thing happens when you are a second grader at our school - The Incredible Edible Car Derby.

Apparently, along with a unit of study over force and motion, second graders are all asked to create a car entirely out of edible items. They are allowed to use any kind of food, toothpicks, skewers, and glue. Everyone brings their cars on the same day and there is a competition to see whose car will travel the furthest when released on a ramp.

When we received the directions a few days ago, I was instantly struck with a brilliant idea. This was the perfect project for Gracie to create with her Paw Paw. It seemed like a perfect bonding experience. Plus, this is right up my dad's alley. After all, he loves to build things and figure out how to make them work(perfectly). So, I dropped her off Wednesday night so that they could work their magic together. Two hours later, when I picked her up, I asked my dad if they had finished. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Well no, we have been working on our prototype. She'll have to come back tomorrow so that we can make the final product. I still need to work on the axles to make sure that it drives straight."

The next night, when I picked her up, not only had they perfected the "prototype", they had also decorated it with headlights, taillights, and a driver all made out of candy. My dad explained that he had created his own hub caps by filling a small tube with hot glue, pulling it out, and poking a hole in the center. Then as we were leaving he told me to make sure that I didn't let Gracie eat the lifesaver wheels when she was finished with her race. When I asked why he explained, "Well, because I sprayed them with silicone spray so that they would roll better, of course."


So, the incredible edible derby was today. Gracie's car made it all the way down the ramp and across part of the floor without falling apart, which is better than a lot of the other cars. It was hilarious, though, to see all of the different creations - a gourd with onion halves as wheels (that one smelled up the entire hallway), a chili pepper with limes as wheels, soggy bananas with who knows what as wheels . . .



Gracie didn't win a ribbon, but I think that the experience was a huge success. She had a great time working on a special project with Paw Paw, and she had many compliments on how cute her car turned out.

Thanks, Paw Paw!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love it!!! That sounds totally like my dad. And it is great that you get to be there to see all the excitement as well.

The First Lady said...

That's fantastic! What a great way to put that perfectionism to work. Her car is adorable.

Michelle said...

How sweet! That really is an awesome car!! Tell Gracie I will trade her the Malibu for it!

Happy Mama said...

Great project! Sounds like fun! I have been thinking about your mom and hoping she is feeling better and staying strong- you too ya know! Love you!

Aubrey said...

Now, that's my kind of car. . . made of candy! The derby looked like great fun. What a cool idea!!

realitymomma said...

mr. potato is really cute. great idea! my second grader isn't doing anything fun like that. her teachers are - well, the library is named after them....does that tell you their age????