Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Quick Update From a "Single" Mom

I did not sign up to be a single mom. Although I'm sure that a lot of women out there who are single moms didn't expect to be where they are either. Really, I can't complain too badly. My status is only temporary (thank goodness!). But still, this stinks!

Brad is on the sick and annual leave shift for the next three months, which means who knows what days and times they will have him working. This week he is working from 4 to midnight. So, when we leave for school in the morning he's asleep, when we get home from school he's at work, and when he finally gets home from work we are asleep. I think that he is good . . . at least as far as I can tell from the few brief phone conversations that we have had. But here I am . . . a single mom . . . outnumbered . . . and they know it . . .

I had strep throat last week. (Probably from all of the germy little darlings that I get to "bond" with each day.) So I felt pretty rotten for most of the week. But the antibiotics have kicked in and I am good to go now! Which is good since I am a single mom and seem to have some sort of meeting or somewhere to be every day after school. The good news is that as a single mom I don't have to cook a big dinner at night and can go to bed as soon as I get the kids tucked in and asleep. (Which is my plan for tonight.)

My mom started her chemo yesterday. It took most of the day mainly because she had to meet with the doctor and take care of blood work beforehand. So far, so good. She said that she was nauseous most of the night last night, but has been able to sleep today a bit. She will continue to receive treatments once a week for sixteen weeks. One down, fifteen to go!

2 comments:

Aaron and Starla said...

Welcome to the club of single parenting!!!

Starla

realitymomma said...

i hear you girl! kirk has to travel every now and then and i hate it the whole time. mornings are crazy, afternoons are tiring and evenings are well, the same as mornings. i will be praying for you!