Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Kindred Spirits


Who knew? After 26 years I'm pretty sure that our moms would still ground us if we didn't make up and become friends again. But I guess that they knew what they were doing. After all, they are the ones who forced us to watch Anne of Green Gables in the first place. (Which is where the quote, "I think you may be a kindred spirit after all" came from.)

I am amazed to look back over the years and see how God has been working. It is hard to put into words the bond that we have. Keely's dad and my mom were actually friends growing up, who lost track of each other after high school until her parents moved back to Azle when I was in the 2nd grade. Their friendship was renewed and Keely and I began a friendship that is still going strong. We grew up together, and at times were inseparable. We were baptized on the same day, along with Keely's dad. And today our husbands are great friends as well as our children.

Their family is precious to us. It is so unique to have a family that totally "gets" you and loves you - the good and the bad. Through the past couple of years they have challenged us and loved us as we have grown spiritually and had our eyes opened to many new possibilities. I am aware now of God's hand working on us from day one. I know that Brad and I wouldn't be where we are today without His help and this precious family that he knew we would need in our lives. And I can't wait to see where he will take us from here.

Who knew . . .

Here's another great Anne of Green Gables quote . . . "Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?"



9 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a good thing someone out there gets you! I now know of one more. :)

Your picture looks a lot like Gracie!

I liked the last quote, may steal that sometime to use as inspiration for one of my writings.

Jarrod

The First Lady said...

OMGoodness! I never realized how much Gracie looks like you! Like a little mini-Amy. Great quotes.

Joyce said...

Anne of Green Gables was and is a great movie. I guess we saw kindred spirits even then. (and as you can see - Kerri and I do agree on what is a good movie from time to time!}
And yes - I do have flashbacks when I look at Gracie! Isn't she precious like her mother?

homecooks said...

Wow! I think you are pretty special too! I love that all our childhood dreams are coming true. We live very close (not next door, but close), our children are great friends and so are our husbands!

The past two years have cemented us even closer, thank you for being my kindred spirit and prayer warrior!

Love you,
Keely

PS Not only does Gracie look like Amy, she acts like her too!! ;)

Michelle said...

I love Ann of Green Gables! I may have to go to my mom's house and get it so I can make Brandon watch it with me :) .....or did he already have to watch it with Amy and Starla when he was a kid?? :)

Affordable Designs said...

what a wave of emotions!
Boy can I remember sitting and watching that movie and crying!!!!
my favorite line is "To be in the depths of despair is to turn your back on God" Marilla was an amazing character.Three generations of kindred spirits is a true gift from God. Thank you for writing this Amy.
You are sentimental!
Kerri

Aubrey said...

What cute kids you and Keely were, and you know I love a good quotable movie - that one is a classic! Gracie does look like her mama . . . lucky gal! I miss you bunches (have fun in Colorado!)!!

Unknown said...

I love it, what a cool story and I am so glad my family get to set back and watch things unfold. We love you guys.
Donna

Jennifer said...

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables! It is so good to read about your life and family, and what a beautiful family. It is amazing to have a friend last a lifetime!!!

Jennifer (Milby) Wilson